As clear from the name; rigid-flex PCBs consists of both flexible as well as rigid circuits. This way the benefits of both flexible as well as rigid circuits can be brought together into one picture. In most cases, the rigid circuits carry the majority of the components while the flexible circuits act more like a join or a connection between the rigid sections of the printed circuit board.
The major application of rigid-flex circuits is in the military and aerospace industry. Depending upon the product the design is rigid, usually, where additional support is required and is flexible around the corners and on the sections which need some more space. However, there is not a single design for a rigid-flex PCB as you can animate your PCBs using an innumerable number of ways depending upon the product.
Let us dig in some of the amazing benefits of using rigid-flex printed circuit boards:
Advantages Of Rigid-Flex PCBs
- The major benefit of the rigid-flex PCBs is that you can make your board fit easily into the device; rather than taking note of the specifications of the board for manufacturing the relative product.
- The rigid-flex PCBs are extremely light-weight and the attribute of flexibility makes them pretty compact in nature. This even drastically reduces the packaging size of the rigid-flex PCBs.
- With passing time; the demand for smaller and light-weight electronic products is on the rise. Here rigid-flex PCBs play a major role as they can contribute significantly to reducing the size of the product. The rigid-flex PCBs can be folded and bent, without any difficulty, to fit perfectly into a smaller device.
- There is pretty less number of interconnections in the case of rigid-flex PCBs. Moreover, they are constructed without utilizing solder joints or connectors. Hence, the assembly of the rigid-flex PCBs doesn’t require more of the materials. Therefore the manufacturing, as well as the cost of procuring material, is drastically reduced.
- As mentioned in the beginning, the rigid-flex PCBs are used majorly in the military and aerospace industry. This is due to the fact that PCBs + forbes can endure high temperatures as during their assembly polyimide is used. Polyimide is known for its outstanding thermal stability. Moreover, the endurance factor in case of rigid-flex PCBs is high in the case of UV and radiation exposures as well.
- The number of ways to design rigid-flex PCBs is infinite. This opens the door to new innovations and robust creativity. Also, Customer demands can be quite frustrating since the customer is not aware of the technical know-how. But, thanks to rigid-flex PCBs the needs of the customer can be easily met. This is again possible because of the innumerable number of ways and custom layouts in which the rigid-flex PCBs can be developed.
Thus, you can easily see that rigid-flex PCBs, definitely, hold the key to the future. Apart from aerospace and military, rigid-flex PCBs are also utilised in construction, power generation, and automobile sectors.