With Peter Carey. Training courses in London, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh and Belfast.
Data protection compliance is an essential legal requirement for all organisations. It is best to put data protection procedures in place before problems occur to avoid legal liability, negative publicity and cost of regulatory enforcement.
This invaluable and practical training session, led by internationally-acclaimed data protection expert and trainer Peter Carey, examines core concepts of practical data protection compliance.
This introductory level session will provide a thorough grounding in the fundamental requirements of data protection, including:
- how data protection law applies to your organisation
- what can and cannot be done with staff information and customer information
- the requirements on organisations to keep data secure, and how to meet those requirements
- the rights of individuals, such as customers and staff, in respect of data held by your organisation
- the legal requirements for gathering information for marketing, including the use of opt-out and opt-in clauses
- the special rules that apply to using ’sensitive personal data’ (e.g. medical information, criminal convictions, ethnicity data)
- the legal requirements for using CCTV cameras
- the restrictions on sending personal data abroad
- the legal requirements for outsourcing personal data processing operations, e.g. payroll, call-centres, private investigators and confidential waste management companies
- which areas of your organisation need attention and remedial action
- the role of the Information Commissioner
Topics covered include:
The 8 Data Protection Principles, Responsibilities of organisations, Rights of individuals, Sensitive personal data, Data exports, Tips for best practice.
There will be plenty of opportunity for questions, and delegates are encouraged to bring their queries to the session.
Who should attend:
Compliance Officers, IT Managers, Business Analysts, Human Resources Managers, Office Managers, Company Secretaries, Records Managers, Archivists, Information Managers, Legal Advisors, Trainee Data Protection Officers, Database Managers and others.
Short Day – 10.00am to 4pm ( lunch included ).
Accredited by the Law Society with 5 hours CPD.
About the Trainer:
Peter Carey is a solicitor and consultant to London law firm, Charles Russell, Visiting Lecturer at the College of Law and is described by the British Computer Society as ‘one of the UK’s leading data protection experts.’
Peter has written the UK’s leading book on data protection: ‘Data Protection – A Practical Guide to UK and EU Law’.
He advises on all aspects of data protection compliance, conducts data protection audits for commercial organisations and law firms and provides training courses on data protection compliance.
Peter has gained a reputation for being a lively and motivating speaker. He regularly speaks at major data protection conferences and he is an acknowledged and accomplished professional speaker and trainer.
The ‘Data Protection Essential Knowledge – Level 1′ training course is one of the Compulsory Courses in the Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection programme – the new practical qualification for those that work in the fields of data protection and privacy. Launched by PDP Training, the ‘Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection’ is designed in consultation with the Information Commissioner’s Office, and the Programme is accredited by The Law Society.
£445 plus VAT ( £522.87 ). If this course is booked with ‘Data Protection Essential Knowledge – Level 2′, the fee for both sessions is: £795 plus VAT ( £934.12 ).