A Twitter colleague of mine finds herself a bit frustrated. She wants to learn more about web design but doesn’t know where to look. I did a little browsing, and there are just so many tools and tutorials out there that I cannot choose any one in particular. Probably because everyone is different and has different needs.
So I have compiled a list of some web design tutorials and resources that might help you in your efforts to better your website and blog.
Web Design Books
- Webdesigndev – 15 Books For Beginners To Learn Web Design
- Six Revisions – 20 Useful Web Design Books Worthy of Your Collection
- Web Design Depot – 30 Useful Web Design Books for 2009
- About.com – Top 10 Web Site Design Books
- SpeckyBoo – 40 Free and Essential Web Design and Development Books from Google
- Online Computer Books – Free Web design and Development books
- Website Design Tips – Recommended Books and Software
- 1st Web Designer – 30 Must Have WebDesign Books In Your Christmas Wishlist
Tutorials and resources.
- W3Schools – Probably the best tutorial site and the first one to visit.
- How to build a website – How-to-build-websites.com is designed for total beginners … and for people who use programs like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, and other wysiwyg programs
- 2 Create A Website – Dedicated to Creating websites, blogs and web design
- Webdesign 4 Beginners – Learn about HTML, CSS, PHP and other web techniques with Web Design for beginners – tutorials written by the professionals with beginners in mind
- Apex Web Media – Easy to follow Beginners Web Design Tutorial Videos and online training courses.
- Tizag – Tizag was designed to teach beginner web programmers how to use HTML and CSS.
- Web Developers Journal – Tips on Web Page Design, HTML and Graphics. Web design tutorials for rank beginners.
- Entheos – Easy to follow tutorials and fun to do! From website design tips and ideas to CSS Styles, Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks
- Boogie Jack – An awesome and exhaustive list of tutorials for almost everything related to webs design.
- Web Designers Library – A great one stop place of resources for anything related to web design.
- Web Design Tutorials – Just a magnificent list of various tutorials for the web design enthusiast. But not only Web design tutorials but loads of others.
- Media College – Tutorials suitable for beginners in the field of web design.
From My own Collection
Cascading Style Sheets
- Creating a Pure CSS layout
- Cascading Style Sheets CSS – I The Basics
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) II – Selectors
- Cascading Style Sheets – Selectors III
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) – III – More Selectors
- Cascading Style Sheets – Selectors IV – Pseudo-Classes.
- Cascading Style Sheets – Pseudo Elements
Web Development using C#
- Introduction to Web Apps with C#3.0 and Visual studio 2008
- Web Apps with C# and Visual Web Developer – Hello World I
- Web Apps with C# – Hello world II – Continued
- Creating a web forms user interface with C#
- Events and Postback
- Application State
- Debugging and monitoring web applications Part I.
- Debugging and monitoring web application part II
This is not an exhaustive or complete list, by any stretch of the imagination. There are just so may web design resources out there. Just Google it. Also some tutorials, courses, and resources are free and some are not.
I have not verified every single resource. Just not enough time. So if you find that any are not up to standard or not what you expected please let me know.
There are also resources here that are for beginners as well as seasoned professionals. Please do not think that you have to cover all those listed. Just check them out, and pick out the ones you think will be most useful to you.
If you have any other suggestions please leave them in the comments below. The comments are moderated for URL listing, so don’t fret. I will check them out then approve the comment.