Revealed: The top five expenses that people fail to claim for on their self assessments

The award-winning tax experts at GoSimpleTax (www.gosimpletax.com) have released a list of the expenses that people most commonly fail to claim for when filling in their self assessments through HMRC. The list includes fuel, phone costs, car servicing, car insurance and the use of a home office, all common expenses for a sole trader.

People who fail to claim for all five of these expenses could be overpaying their tax by an average of £355 if you pay tax at the basic rate of 20%. People who don’t know or forget about fuel expenses miss out on claiming an average of £600 year, those that leave phone costs out of their claim lose an average of £450, and those that forget to claim for car servicing, car insurance and the use of a home office neglect to claim around £303, £216 and £208 respectively.

GoSimpleTax offers a digital self-assessment solution that allows individuals to submit their tax return to HMRC without the need for an accountant. The software is also designed to ensure people don’t forget to claim for valuable expenses that they’re legitimately entitled to claim for.

The GoSimpleTax software uses artificial intelligence to give users nudges and prompts to help them calculate their correct tax – for example it will remind users of expenses they may have forgotten to claim, such as road tax when they have claimed fuel.

What makes the service really stand out from the crowd is the fact that it files its results straight to HMRC, making it a one-step and truly hassle-free method for self-assessment. “I’ve been in the tax industry for more than two decades and I worked for HMRC and in accountancy practice before I joined GoSimpleTax,” explains Mike Parkes, technical director at GoSimpleTax. “After all these years I know self-assessment expenses like the back of my hand and have come to know well the expenses that people most frequently forget about.

“Some people don’t realise they’re entitled to claim for these things in the first place. That’s one of the reasons why we created GoSimpleTax. We wanted to make filling in tax returns easier and to help people claim for the expenses they’re rightly entitled to claim.”

About GoSimpleTax

• GoSimpleTax offers a self-assessment solution that allows individuals to submit their tax return directly to HMRC without the need for an accountant.

• The GoSimpleTax software uses artificial intelligence to give users nudges and prompts to help them calculate their correct tax – for example it will remind users of expenses they may have forgotten to claim, such as road tax when they have claimed fuel.

• What makes the service really stand out from the crowd is the fact that it files its results straight to HMRC, making it a one-step and truly hassle-free method for self-assessment.

• The GoSimpleTax head office is located In Oldham.

• Annual subscriptions to GoSimpleTax start at £30 for the year. Non subscription prices begin at £50.

• Customers can also sign up for a 14-day free trial

• In December 2018, GoSimpleTax was crowned The Best Financial Start Up at the Financial Innovation Awards in London.