NComputing has announced the M300, an entirely new virtual desktop device that claims to “redefine what is possible in a thin client”.
The M300 delivers a 3-in-1 device that provides a “rich” PC experience to 3 users simultaneously at a third of the cost, using a third the power and a third of the networking ports compared to PCs and other thin clients, claims the company. Available immediately worldwide, the M300 is targeted at local workgroups from 3 to 45 users in environments like classrooms, labs, libraries, shared office workspaces, business centers and call centres.
The M300 3-in-1 thin-client is driven by advancements in 3 separate areas:
- In Silicon: The 2nd-generation Numo 2 System-on-Chip (SoC) delivers the performance and rich user experience like having 3 PCs on a single chip. Within a single chip, the Numo 2 delivers three dedicated graphics, video, and user subsystems across common infrastructure like memory, I/O, and power. This multi-tenant architecture dramatically offloads processing from the server and minimises the infrastructure and power needed to deliver high performance computing.
- In Device Architecture: The M300 thin-client device leverages the Numo 2 SoC to support 3 independent users across a single Ethernet port using a single power plug. The M300 provides full HD-video and high-resolution graphics capabilities, allowing a rich PC experience in most every work setting.
- In Software: The vSpace Server software supports up to 45 concurrent M300 desktop sessions on a single consumer-class host PC. With an extensive set of management tools, IT managers can deploy and maintain a Microsoft Windows or Linux-based environment in a fraction of the time compared to other solutions.
“We are the only vendor that can optimise the entire end-to-end VDI solution, allowing us to deliver orders-of-magnitude improvements and immediate value to our customers globally,” said Raj Dhingra, CEO of NComputing. “The 3-in-1 M300 is more proof that NComputing is changing the game around thin clients, around server capabilities, and around price/performance across the industry. Unlike traditional VDI, NComputing customers don’t compromise; they deploy and gain the value promised by desktop virtualisation today.”
The M300 was built to be a simple, powerful, and highly affordable thin-client deployment option. Working in tandem with NComputing’s vSpace Server 6.6 software, the M300 3-in-1 thin client kit allows an organisation to add virtual PC desktops for a fraction of the cost of a PC. Customers can lower cost of acquisition and energy costs by more than 75%, networking costs by 67% and support costs by up to 75% – with no compromise in the quality of the computing experience for users.
For the M300, vSpace Server software enables up to 45 concurrent users to be hosted on a single operating system instance and on a single host computer. An entire deployment can be measured in hours and managed by either IT professionals or those with only basic PC skills and time. With these capabilities, the M300 3-in-1 thin-client kit multiplies the benefits of thin client computing in a virtual desktop environment.
“Our environment is a combination of labs and offices and in each case we need to deliver a high quality experience and high performance as though there was a PC on every desk. With little to no configuration on the M300 device side, I was able to get all units connected, logged in with the automatic login feature, and running streaming media videos on each unit within 30 minutes.” said Rick Marx, Information Services Manager at Travis USD. “The M300 is optimised for close-in computing and our testing shows that it delivers. It is already proving a great complement to the NComputing L300 Ethernet single-user device.”
Selected features of the M300 kit include:
- 3-in-1 client kit for desktop virtualisation using a single LAN port and a single power plug
- Second generation Numo 2 SoC (System-on-Chip) provides PC-quality HD video streaming without excessive host-side processing
- Connection over Ethernet for flexibility and performance
- PC level performance for desktop applications
- Seamless HD video performance (up to 720p) and multimedia experience on standard Windows or Linux environments, including YouTube and other web multimedia content
- USB 2.0 port for peripheral support and two USB ports for mouse and keyboard
- Microphone and audio-out to support interactive communications and recording
- Energy-efficient?(typically 2 watts per user), compact, and reliable (no fans or disks)
- Powerful vSpace™ Server 6.6 desktop virtualisation software is included
- Up to 45 M300-based users per host massively lowers management and overall computing costs
- Unique Windows User Accounts for 3 to 45 M300 client devices
- Easy to set up, maintain, manage and secure
- Remote management software included
Like the Numo 1 SoC in the NComputing L300, the Numo 2 is powered by an A9 chip for extra graphics and HD video processing. As a follow on to NComputing’s PCI-based X-Series, the M300 promises superior graphics and HD video streaming capabilities, increases the number of users per host PC, connects at distance with Ethernet, and provides support for USB 2.0.
The M300 is available immediately from NComputing channel partners worldwide. For pricing, contact your local distributor or reseller.