Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data centre company, today announced managed cloud services provider, BASE Media Cloud, has collaborated with Equinix to build out a multicloud services strategy to serve the production, post-production and content distribution needs of digital media and entertainment companies globally.
Through Equinix, BASE Media Cloud is offering dedicated services in the media and entertainment sector to an industry in transformation.
By leveraging interconnection—the private data exchange between businesses—to multiple private and public clouds, as well as multiple connectivity providers via Equinix, BASE Media Cloud and its customers are able to meet the increasing challenges brought about by the rising volumes of media files being acquired, processed and delivered throughout the media production process.
As demand for video has continued to grow, Content Delivery Management (CDM) companies have had to turn to cloud.
As cloud becomes increasingly important to the media and entertainment industry, so does interconnection.
It has already played a major role in enabling CDM companies to get close to customers in markets all over the world, enabling them to deliver superior content to a dispersed user base.
Equinix and BASE Media Cloud will discuss their partnership in further detail at IBC2018 in Amsterdam, 13-18 September.
Equinix’s Senior Manager for Solution Marketing in EMEA, Matt George, will be conducting a joint presentation with BASE Media Cloud at 4:00pm on 14 September.
The keynote will address how content and digital companies are benefitting from multicloud strategies, showcasing the innovative approach taken by the world’s largest independent football media business, COPA90, in partnership with BASE Media Cloud and Equinix, to manage the secure storage and exchange of media content between global locations throughout the 2018 World Cup.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Today, the media and entertainment industry is increasingly relying on high-speed, secure and low-latency connections for more efficient streaming, as demand for data centres and colocation services in the cloud sector continues to grow.
According to a report by eMarketer, this year nearly 765 million people will use a subscription over-the-top (OTT) video service, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. That’s a tenth of the global population.
- Amid this demand, CDM companies have turned to cloud services, specifically multicloud. Cloud helps content creators move material through the multiple stages of production faster than ever.
BASE Media Cloud, a U.K.-based company, is meeting these challenges by offering a suite of ready-made multicloud services comprising media storage, media asset management, cloud editing, file transfer, branded channels and content distribution.
- In November 2017, BASE Media Cloud deployed its U.K.-based private cloud region and multicloud core network with Equinix at its LD6 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centre in Slough.
This latest investment by BASE Media Cloud was focused on the need to provide media companies with a “one-stop shop” for cloud-based media services, regardless of clients’ physical locations.
The company hosts its centralized cloud storage infrastructure and cloud gateway network with Equinix, and interconnects to a multitude of public cloud and media SaaS partners, to provide its customers with a single pane of glass user experience.
- BASE Media Cloud and COPA90 collaborated with Equinix to build out a multicloud services strategy to serve the hyper-scale production, post-production and content distribution needs of the world’s largest independent football media business.
This collaboration has enabled COPA90 to migrate its media archive of over half a Petabyte of content to centralised cloud storage, as well as improve workflow efficiencies for file sharing, encoding, media asset management and global video content distribution.
- Since the latest iteration of the BASE Media Cloud platform went live in January 2018, the company has already ingested more than 2 Petabytes of customer data and delivered hundreds of Terabytes of HD Broadcast long-form materials to more than 500 global media companies.
As BASE Media Cloud’s customers continue to increase their in-house connectivity and bandwidth, as well as increasing the resolution and quality of their video content, the company is continually expanding its cloud network to accommodate demand.
- According to volume 1 of the Global Interconnection Index (the GXI), published annually by Equinix, the need for interconnection among CDM companies is indicated as growing rapidly.
The GXI estimates that Interconnection Bandwidth — the capacity to privately and directly exchange traffic between a diverse set of participants at distributed IT exchange points – will increase at a 36% CAGR among CDM companies and could reach 420 Terabits per second by 2020. The GXI Vol. 2 will be published later this month.
- Equinix has 800+ content and digital media companies deployed across its global footprint, all using a variety of interconnection capabilities to support their business in the digital world.
By securely interconnecting with digital supply chain partners in dynamic business ecosystems, companies like BASE Media Cloud can accelerate business performance and reach new markets.
- The global reach of Platform Equinix® allows customers, like over-the-top subscription video streaming service DAZN, to deploy IT as close as possible to the sport events they cover, enabling the low-latency connections essential to quickly add commentary and polish to raw video feeds.
With 99.9999% uptime, Platform Equinix offers resiliency and direct access to a wide variety of cloud services, so DAZN can expand its computing capacity on demand and access all the interconnection it needs during high-profile events.
Damon Neale, CTO, BASE Media Cloud
“BASE Media Cloud has continued to grow rapidly on Equinix’s interconnection platform. By choosing to do business on Platform Equinix, we have been able to flexibly add both direct connects and carrier-grade Internet Bandwidth, on demand, to deal with the explosive video data growth of our global clients.”
Matt George, Senior Manager, Solution Marketing EMEA, Equinix
“We are seeing an increasing number of media and entertainment customers leverage our interconnection platform to expand their businesses globally.
The increasing adoption of cloud is driving activity in this sector and we have now reached a tipping point — especially to enable on-demand multicloud access.
With Platform Equinix, we are confident BASE Media Cloud will continue to accelerate its growth and expand its own customer base in new markets.”
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centres.
In 52 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.