Today you can still hear from some market participants that the Internet of Things is an unattainable future to which the world has yet to get close.
The future has already arrived, and many companies are using the IoT to maximize profits, optimize production processes, and obtain accurate data for analyzing the work of various enterprise departments.
An IoT engineer or IoT software developer handles planning, building and maintaining the Internet of Things. With special knowledge and skills, a competent specialist can create a system that will meet the requirements and needs of the customer 100%.
The Role Of An Engineer And The Knowledge Required To Create The Internet Of Things
It is impossible to imagine the Internet of Things without five basic components:
- Big Data
IoT developer, who takes on a project to create a system, should consider and competently work out each component.
Only when this condition is met can high results be achieved. The role of the specialist is to create an Internet of Things that can provide the following:
- Automatic closing of relatively simple tasks
- Allocation of responsibilities among employees to complete complex tasks
- Increased efficiency in managing operations
- Reducing costs by reducing downtime
- Greater efficiency and better resource utilization
- Increased workplace safety
- Quickly collect and process information to make production decisions more accurately and minimize risks.
Simply put, an IoT engineer can conduct IoT consulting, set up a system to collect and process valuable information, and pave the way for successful business management.
Iot Engineer Knowledge And Skills
An Internet of Things specialist should ideally have a thorough understanding and ability to develop each system’s components.
It includes the devices that need to be connected, the networks through which they communicate, the IoT platform, and the end-user application through which management, data collection, and analytics can be performed.
The responsibilities of the Internet of Things engineer include the following:
- Developing solution architecture for building the Internet of things
- Network design
- Device prototype development
- IoT software development and development of an application interface that will help users manage and control the system
- Interaction with hardware and software vendors, solving various organizational and technical issues
- Installation and setup of hardware and software, setting up the interconnection of the system with the existing networks.
- Security of the developed system is considered one of the most complex and fundamentally important tasks in constructing the Internet of things.
The field of IoT is so vast that an engineer has to take on some of the responsibilities of a project manager.
Since only the engineer knows the technical nuances and details of the future system, he can correctly draw up the necessary documents for the construction process, select IoT teams, communicate constructively with contractors and explain the essence of the work to the customer.
How To Hire An Iot Engineer
Before deciding on an applicant for an IoT engineer position, there are several steps to follow.
The recruiter or the company’s HR should set up a coding exam, asking clarifying questions to determine the specialist’s skill level. The selection stages include:
- A short phone interview or HR screening online. To understand whether to continue communicating with the candidate for the position, it is necessary to prepare a list of questions which will certainly affect the person’s professional and personal qualities.
The important questions for an IoT embedded developer: what technical programming tools does the specialist possess, what knowledge of programs and IoT technologies, what projects have already been implemented and where.
Questions about motivation, values, and personal qualities are mandatory. The list of markers also includes questions about when the applicant can start work, the expected salary level, and readiness to perform a test task.
- Conducting a technical assessment to determine if the candidate possesses all the knowledge and skills stated on the resume
- Conducting a final interview with many technical questions to ensure that the candidate is highly qualified and capable for the position offered. Special training makes it possible to organize and conduct all the necessary stages.
Finding a specialist is only possible through constant market monitoring, attending industry events, and searching and corresponding with applicants on social networks such as LinkedIn.
Recruiting agencies have their base and network of personal acquaintances, which makes finding an IoT engineer much easier.
Limitations Of The Iot System
The usefulness and practicality of IoT solutions in any company or enterprise are undeniable. But, several limitations must be considered when setting up a system.
The first and most global is security. Cybercrime, just like the Internet of Things, is developing rapidly on a large scale.
Receiving and processing information from multiple devices can also pique cybercriminals’ interest.
Information leakage and potential danger to the property and the user’s health are the consequences of unauthorized intrusion into the system.
Therefore, as the popularity and spread of the Internet of Things grows, so does the need to develop new, better tools to protect the system.
The second issue will be the possible incompatibility of the software of various devices united in a single system.
This problem is solved at the level of manufacturers, which have to introduce solutions in their products which will allow the compatibility of different software in a single network.
In addition, there is the option of developing a single software platform where all devices, regardless of technical and software capabilities, find common contact points and perform their task in a coordinated manner.
The development of the Internet of Things industry can no longer be stopped. The speciality of IoT engineering is becoming increasingly in demand in today’s job market, and the IoT developers cost is only growing.
To recruit a competent engineer, it is necessary to have special knowledge and understand the technical issues.
But with the help of recruiting or HR agencies, you can get a professional performer capable of designing and implementing an internet of things project of any scale.